28 1 / 2014
2014 is the Year of Lear, especially here in Kings County with our upcoming production of King Lear, directed by Arin Arbus and featuring Michael Pennington, and BAM’s recent presentation of Chichester Festival Theatre’s King Lear starring Frank Langella. Plus, The Public Theater is producing King Lear featuring John Lithgow this summer at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park. We’ve started seeing Lear references everywhere, and would like YOU to help us capture a visual Lear using Instagram!
How to participate:
Every day at 8am we will post a new quote from King Lear to inspire your ‘gramming for the day. The quotes will be posted via the Theatre For a New Audience and BAM Twitter and Instagram accounts. The contest runs from Wednesday, January 29 through Tuesday, February 25 at midnight.
You may post as many photos (and/or videos!) as you like inspired by each quote—feel free to be as literal or interpretive as you like, and don’t forget the #Leargram hashtag. Creativity and originality are encouraged! No prior knowledge of the play required.
We will pick two finalists every Wednesday in February (Feb 5, 12, 19, and 26), and one will go on to be the grand prize winner to be announced the first week in March.
Be sure to follow TFANA (@TheatreForANewA), BAM (@BAM_Brooklyn), and The Public (@publictheaterny) on Instagram, and tag all photo and video entries with #Leargram.
- Tues, Feb 25: “When we are born, we cry that we are come To this great stage of fools” (Lear 4.6)
- Mon, Feb 24: “A man may see how the world goes with no eyes” (Lear 4.6)
- Sun, Feb 23: “He’s mad that trusts in the tameness of a wolf” (Fool 3.6)
- Sat, Feb 22: “They told me I was everything; ‘tis a lie” (Lear 4.6)
- Fri, Feb 21: “I am a man More sinn’d against than sinning.” (Lear 3.2)
- Thurs, Feb 20: “And worse I may be yet. The worst is not So long as we can say ‘This is the worst.’” (Edgar 4.1)
- Wed, Feb 19: “This cold night will turn us all to fools and madmen” (Fool 3.4)
- Tues, Feb 18: “Thou, Nature, art my goddess (Edmund 1.2)
- Mon, Feb 17: “Ay, every inch a king” (Lear 4.6)
- Sun, Feb 16: “O, let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven!” (Lear 1.5)
- Sat, Feb 15: “Why brand they us With base? With baseness? Bastardy? Base, base?” (Edmund 1.2)
- Thurs, Feb 13: “That which makes me bend makes the King bow (Edgar 3.6)
- Wed, Feb 12: “Dearer than eyesight, space, and liberty” (Goneril 1.1)
- Tues, Feb 11: “Thou shouldst not have been old till thou hadst been wise” (Fool 1.2)
- Mon, Feb 10: “That way madness lies” (Lear 3.4)
- Sun, Feb 9: “Nothing can come of nothing” (Lear 1.1)
- Sat, Feb 8: “The prince of darkness is a gentleman” (Edgar 3.4)
- Fri, Feb 7: “Unhappy that I am, I cannot heave My heart into my mouth” (Cordelia 1.1)
- Thurs, Feb 6: “’Tis the time’s plague when madmen lead the blind” (Gloucester 4.1)
- Wed, Feb 5: “while we Unburdened crawl toward death” (Lear 1.1)
- Tues, Feb 4: “I had rather be any kind o’ thing than a fool! And yet I would not be thee, nuncle” (Fool 1.2)
- Mon, Feb 3: Things that love night Love not such nights as these (Kent 3.2)
- Sun, Feb 2: “I’ll not be strucken, my lord.” “Nor tripped neither, you base football player?” (Oswald, Kent 4.1)
Sat, Feb. 1: How sharper than a serpent’s tooth it is To have a thankless child! (Lear 1.4)
Fri. Jan 31: Come not between the dragon and his wrath (Lear 1.1)
Thurs, Jan 30: We have seen the best of our time (Gloucester 1.2)
- Wed, Jan 29: Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! Rage! Blow! (Lear 3.2)
Week 4: Give a gift: "Send-a-Sonnet"
Week 3: Two tickets to Red Velvet at St. Ann’s Warehouse.
Week 2: Two tickets to The Public Theater’s Antony & Cleopatra.
Week 1: Two tickets to BEDLAM's Hamlet or Saint Joan.
The grand prize winner will receive the Ultimate Shakespeare Prize Package, including tickets to Theatre for a New Audience and BAM, Shakespeare in the Park, Sleep No More, The Shakespeare Society, and much more to be announced!
The Fine Print:
Everyone is encouraged to participate! But to be eligible to win, you must follow TFANA (@TheatreForANewA) and BAM (BAM_Brooklyn) on Instagram and tag all photo and video entries with #Leargram. Only residents of the United States 13 years of age and older may be selected as finalists or the grand prize winner.
Click here to read the complete rules.
27 6 / 2013
15 4 / 2013